Tuesday 29 June 2010

Peach Village

I'm writing this from the camp at the end of Stage 3 which is set in a rural village in the middle of the Gobi Desert on the edge of the Turpan Basin. We are actually staying with the villagers in their mud huts. It is one of the coolest experiences I've had and can't believe the generosity of these incredibly kind people who have opened their homes to us. The village is a Uighar village and we have enveloped their homes with rucksacks, water bottles, running shoes, dirty jerseys, and patches from around the world.


The village consists of really one small street bordered on one side by doors that lead into open courtyards which then have 3-4 huts facing it. On the other side of the street/dust track is where it appears that most of the animals are kept. Goats, chickens, and donkeys peer at us with the same bewildered looks as the locals.

Finding my way to my new home I dropped my bag and rather than barge in, just hung outside getting my recovery drink down and my camp slippers (courtesy of the Marriott Hotel) on. The owner of the house, a short round guy with black teeth and a Greek fisherman's cap, came out immediately with a big grin and ushered me and Phillipe Peche from France straight inside motioning something about a kicking leg. Walking through the screen door we found out that the kicking leg meant that the World Cup was on! We are literally in the middle of nowhere in a mud hut and dude is watching Holland play Slovakia. Craziness.

The hut is two rooms, both with large wooden platforms, that have been covered with large handwoven rugs. Actually, I don't know that they're hand woven, but I'm doubtful that he ran down to the local Wal-Mart to snag one of those mass produced rugs on mark down. The walls are covered with intricate silk tapestries which give the small rooms a lot of warmth and at home comfort. We'll be sleeping on the wooden platforms which is a marked improvement from the rocks that we've been cuddling with over the last 3 nights. A good night sleep will be important because tomorrow we'll board a bus at 4am for a 6am race start further into the Gobi.

Today was a good day for me. Starting today in 12th I managed a good race and finished the 20 mile stage in three hours which was good for 9th. The start took us literally straight down a ravine into a large rocky canyon which created a frantic pace. The canyon was littered with ankle crushing rocks but I managed to pick my way through them behind Christian Scheister and alongside Joe Pedersen and Jimmy Doyle. I just kept a vision of Caballo Blanco picking his way through the Copper Canyon in Mexico and I felt really light on my feet.

The three of us covered the rocks, river crossings and high grassses with good pace and came into the 10km checkpoint 1 in 52 minutes. I was running in 5th overall but after CP 1 I never saw Jimmy and Joe again. They destroyed the hill that followed CP 1 while I pulled off the pace and slogged my way up. At the top I was greeted with a long, long, long reddish colored dusty track and bordered by dirt mounds. Uninspiring to say the least. I was the only runner for miles around and found it hard to maintain the pace I had managed through the first 10km. I covered the 11km track in just over an hour with Peter from Switzerland having overtaken me and Phillipe hot on my tail.

The next 7km was intense. Up and down steep but very soft dirt hills that seemed to go on forever. I could make out Phillipe in the distance behind me but didn't even notice Berndt from Austria sneak up behind me. Damn Austrians and their hills! Berndt was a hill eating machine and it was all I could do to catch him on the descents.

After the 7km of hills I managed to pass Berndt with 6km to go but could only hold him off for 4km. He passed me and never looked back taking 8th position. I should move up a few places after today especially after the Chinese competitors were docked a 1.5 time penalty for not having enough calories in their packs. Apparently, they've been dumping food on the course to lighten their bags and getting help from mysterious support crews and even some of the 17 Chinese media crews...

It's been actually quite pleasant weather wise however tomorrow will start three straight days of intense heat that could crest 125 degrees. Water and electrolytes will be really important.

Thanks to everyone for your great comments and emails! I hope everyone is well and good running!

Rp

No comments:

Post a Comment